Here’s my first attempt at potholders. I think they turned out rather well. I was trying to go for a french provincial feel with the fabrics – which by the way I picked up at my favorite new local fabric store, Sewtropolis. Check out her Etsy store here.
These were actually a family effort. My four-year-old wanted to help so he got to push the pressure foot on the sewing machine while I was quilting them.
My two-year-old wanted to help, so she got to use a fabric marker and trace the circle where I was going to put the grommet.
My husband was recruited to put the grommets in since I was too timid to hit them really hard with the hammer. (I’m a little bit clumsy, and I could see missing the target and hitting my fingers instead. Ouch! It has happened before.)
I found this great tutorial for seam binding over at crazy mom quilts. I used it for these potholders and I really liked the results. I’ll definitely use this method again! It has such beautiful results. These were a gift for my mother-in-law, so I know I’ll be making more potholders for myself.