This quilt is made entirely from vintage sheets. The front is made up of eight different prints (from eight different vintage sheets). I simply cut 5″ squares and sewed them together. Each of the eight sheets had blue and green floral patterns – a few had a bit of pink or purple. They looked so lovely together! You may recall seeing some of this fabric before — Gwyneth’s Vintage Sundress is made from the scraps.
This quilt was part of a challenge (proposed by me) to the Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild. The challenge was to make a quilt using all upcycled materials for the front, back, and binding of the quilt. You can see some of the other fabulous upcycled quilts made by guild memebers here (and the back of it), here, and even an adorable upcycled koala.
I simply did free motion quilting in a meandering manner to finish the quilt. Don’t look too closely. (It’s not that good — I need more practice.)
For the back and binding, I used one large sheet. It was a dirty looking cream that didn’t look that good, so I took some petal pink dye and well, you get the idea. I think it looks much better. Still subtle, but it looks better than the dirty cream.
There were a few spots on the back of the quilt that dyed a bit darker. Perhaps from a previous stain, but they are very tiny spots, that I think only I might notice.
The back fabric was used to make the binding too. I was a bit lazy though and didn’t hand sew the binding on. Instead, I used a decorative leaf stitch on my machine.
Hope you all have a great day! I’m going to go outside to enjoy it with my kiddos!
This is right up my alley. I love up cycled projects. I think this will be one of my first projects after we move.